Mom’s Tofu Paalak
When tofu came along with it’s low-fat, high-protein goodness, Mom replaced the Paneer in her Paalak Paneer recipe with extra firm tofu and the revamped dish continued as a family favourite. The way Mom patiently and uniformly browns the tofu makes her dish to die for!
It’s time to share with you Mom’s Tofu Paalak recipe with my addition of flax seeds to sneak in some omega-3 (good fat).
This recipe is suitable for diabetics, weight watchers, and tofu and spinach connoisseurs.
For a side dish that serves 2:
- 200g Tofu
- 100g Spinach
- 1 Onion (medium)
- 3 Chillies (adjust to taste)
- 2 Tomatoes (medium)
- 5 Garlic pods (small)
- 5 Cashew nuts
- 1/2 tbsp Flax seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Lemon
Time for some TIPS:
- Use only Extra Firm Tofu for this dish. Do not use any type of “silken” tofu as it crumbles too easily! In India, you can use RK’s Soya Paneer or Ka Kim’s Tofu.
- Add a dash of garam masala while cooking for an extra dose of North Indian-ness!
- Use almonds instead of cashews if you prefer.
- Brown the cubed tofu and sliced onion lightly but uniformly for optimum chomping.