Horse gram Salad
What do you need to make a salad that’s filling, tasty, healthy, and non-boring?
Here’s what I came up with:
- Something Protein (grams, beans, tofu, quinoa, sprouts)
- Something Crunchy (cucumbers, bell peppers, raddish, onions)
- Something Sweet (cherry tomatoes, carrots, peas, corn)
- Something “Dress”y (vinaigrette, lemon juice, mustard)
- And a little bit extra (stir fried vegetables, nuts, seeds, kimchi)
And so, here’s my happy horse gram salad that is simple, surprisingly tasty, and filling! It makes a great side dish with rotis or a satisfying snack.
Horse gram is a legume that is a good source of iron and protein. Some studies indicate that it helps lower blood sugar levels and decrease insulin resistance.
This gram is used in South Indian cooking, often combined with grated coconut and spices. Here, I’ve used it in a salad with a simple lemon “vinaigrette” dressing which I think worked pretty well!
This recipe is suitable for diabetics, weight watchers, and those not averse to horsing around (bwah ha ha)!
For a salad side dish or snack salad for 2, you will need:
- 1/2 cup uncooked horse gram
- 12 green beans
- 10 baby corns
- 2 small cucumbers
- 1 capsicum/ bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 small lemon
- Olive Oil
Ready, set, GO!
- Horse gram is stubborn (maybe it should be called Mule gram :P). Expect it to take anywhere from 15 – 20 whistles in your pressure cooker.