Mint Rice (a.k.a. Pudina Rice)
Hello! Welcome to the first post on Sugarfree Sweetheart!
To read more about the blog click here.
Let’s begin with a simple one-pot wonder, Pudina Rice.
This version has some healthy and tasty twists to the usual recipe. I’ve added flax seeds for omega 3 (good fat), almonds for protein and crunch, and coconut for texture.
This recipe is suitable for diabetics, weight watchers, and mint enthusiasts!
For a hearty meal for 2 you will need:
- 100g of Mint Leaves
- 1/2 a small coconut
- 5 pods of garlic (fewer if pods are plump)
- 1 onion
- Handful of Almonds
- 140g raw rice (=180ml in volume)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate
- 2 chillies (medium heat)
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
Ready? Time to prep and cook Pudina Rice!
Finally, my TIPS for this recipe:
- Before grinding any roasted mixture allow it to cool a bit. Grinding very hot ingredients creates pressure in the container and sometimes the lid can try to escape and fly to freedom!
- Cooling the rice before mixing it with the ground mint paste helps you get a non sticky end product.
- Reduce the amount of coconut in the recipe to reduce the calorie content.
- Substitute white rice with brown rice for extra fibre.